Blog - Transfer Talk, Clubs, Juventus, Manchester United, Paul Pogba, Story, Transfers

It’s go time as the winter window opened on Jan. 1 in England, Germany, France and China. Click here to view the latest transfers, and keep up to date with the newest gossip below.

TOP STORY: Juve ready to pounce if Pogba becomes available 

With Paul Pogba yet again out in the cold at Manchester United, some of Europe’s biggest clubs are reportedly ready to jump at the opportunity to sign the World Cup winning midfielder.

According to Calciomercato, one of those clubs is his former side Juventus, who are strongly pushing for a dramatic return to Turin. With Pogba set for surgery that will sideline him a further three to four weeks, many suspect that the Frenchman’s days in the Premier League are numbered.

United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hinted after Wednesday’s 2-0 loss to Arsenal that the recent rash of injuries therefore could force the club could pursue reinforcement options during the Januray transfer window.

“If [signings are] available and it’s possible, we’ll do something, definitely. We’re looking at one or two,” Solskjaer said. 

LIVE BLOG

08.39 GMT: Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has hinted that the recent rash of injuries could force the club could pursue reinforcement options during the transfer window.

Paul Pogba has been advised to undergo an operation related to an ongoing foot injury that could keep him out an additional three to four weeks, while fellow midfielder Scott McTominay has been ruled out for more than a month with knee ligament damage.

“Of course, it’s playing on our decision-making when you’ve got two players out — Paul out for a month and Scott for two,” Solskjaer said after Wednesday’s 2-0 defeat at Arsenal. “That will give us less options and we’ve got loads of games and important games. Still, it’s got to be right and that’s the point here.

“If [signings are] available and it’s possible, we’ll do something, definitely. We’re looking at one or two.”

08.00 GMT: Arsenal coach Mikel Arteta has said Granit Xhaka will stay at the club after the Swiss midfielder produced a gritty performance to help his side to a 2-0 win over Manchester United on Wednesday.

Xhaka was in the firing line earlier in the season after he reacted furiously to fans booing him when he was substituted in a 2-2 draw at home to Crystal Palace in October. The incident led to him being stripped of the captaincy and also saw him left out of the side by Arteta’s predecessor Unai Emery for a month.

Xhaka has started six of Arsenal’s last eight league games but his agent said last week that the 27-year-old is targeting a move to Bundesliga side Hertha Berlin. Arteta, however, said the midfielder has told him he wants to remain in north London, also praising him for his performance against United, which was Arsenal’s first win in five matches and took them up to 10th in the standings.

“I think he’s going to stay. I really like him. If we get him on board he can be a tremendous player for the football club,” the Spanish coach told a news conference. “I love the way he is, the way he lives his profession. He is a great football player. Today he was excellent at cutting out passes and he made a lot of great passes. I like how focused he is, he’s willing to learn.”

PAPER TALK (by Tom Fenton): Henrichs snubs Bayern interest in favour of RB  

Germany international Benjamin Henrichs is set to spectacularly reject Bayern Munich — by instead agreeing a deal with table-topping RB Leipzig.

The full-back, who currently plays for AS Monaco, has been regularly linked with a move back to his country of birth. However, the assumption was that a return to Germany would see him end up at the Allianz Arena — to play for current Bundesliga champions Bayern.

But to the surprise of many, Bild and SportBild both claim that Henrichs has turned down the Bavarian giants, and will instead attempt to agree a deal with Julian Nagelsmann’s RB Leipzig, who currently sit atop of the Bundesliga.

Milan keen on Matic deal in January 

With his Manchester United contract set to expire, AC Milan could be set to swoop for Nemanja Matic in January, according to Calciomercato. The United man is also being monitored by Inter, who the Italian publication claim may compete for his signature if an opportunity presents itself.

Matic has previously worked with current Inter boss Antonio Conte during his time at Chelsea, potentially paving the way for a smoother transition. However, Calcio also states that the 31-year-old isn’t the Nerrazzurri‘s first choice — as Barcelona’s Arturo Vidal remains the club’s preferred option.

If Matic is to leave Man United, Milan would appear to be the most likely destination, so long as the fee involved is acceptable for both sides, with Milan reportedly harbouring concerns over the players potential wage demands.

Tap ins

— After sealing the transfer of Takumi Minamino last month, Liverpool are set to complete their January business by sanctioning a loan deal for young striker Rhian Brewster, the Daily Star reports. The 19-year-old has struggled for game time on Merseyside this season, featuring on just two occasions for the senior side in the EFL Cup. The Star claims that one of the interested parties is Swansea City, who have recently lost forward Sam Surridge after his parent club AFC Bournemouth recalled him early from a successful loan spell in South Wales.

— Wolves star Adama Traore hasn’t ruled out the possibility of moving to Real Madrid, if the 13-time European Champions make a move for the winger, Marca reports. The 23-year-old, who has impressed with a string of stand-out performances this season, started his footballing career with Real’s great rival, Barcelona, before making the move to English football. But his playing history doesn’t appear to have put Traore off a move to the Bernabeu, with the Wolves star saying: “If I have to go to Real Madrid, I will go to Real Madrid.”

Products You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *