TOP STORY: Spurs turn to Piatek after Kane news
Premier League side Tottenham have moved swiftly to snap up a replacement for the injured Harry Kane by securing the services of AC Milan striker Krzysztof Piatek in a £28m deal, according to the Sun.
Spurs had been left short on firepower following nasty injuries to England’s Kane and Lucas Moura that will keep the pair out until at least April, while Piatek has fallen down the pecking order at the San Siro following the return of Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Jose Mourinho’s side have beaten off competition from fellow Premier League sides Aston Villa, Newcastle and Crystal Palace for the Polish striker, who is expected to sign a three-and-a-half-year deal with the North London club within the next 48 hours
Piatek, 24, has struck four times in Serie A this campaign, following a £30m switch to the Rossoneri from Genoa last year.
10.28 GMT: Chelsea have been monitoring Lyon striker Moussa Dembele as a possible target to improve Frank Lampard’s attacking options.
They may have competition, though, as Calcio Mercato are reporting that Juventus have joined the race for the 23-year-old.
Juventus are in a title race with Serie A rivals Inter Milan with the teams only separated on goal difference at the top of the table.
Dembele has scored 11 goals in 26 games in all competitions for Lyon.
09.52 GMT: Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Patrick Cutrone has arrived at Fiorentina for a medical.
Good morning ⚜️
— ACF Fiorentina English 🧢 (@ACFFiorentinaEN) January 10, 2020
Cutrone, who has one cap for Italy, has spent just five months at the Molineux after joining Wolves from Milan for £16.2m.
The striker has made 12 Premier League appearances and scored two goals. He had more success in the Europa League and Carabao Cup teams but failed to break into the Premier League first team.
09.35 GMT: Olivier Giroud is all set to leave Chelsea for Inter Milan, but could there be an issue?
09.20 GMT: Reports suggested last week that he was all set to join RB Leipzig, but Bayern Munich have now opted against moving for Monaco full-back Benjamin Henrichs anyway, says TZ.
According to Bild, Leipzig are willing to pay €20m for the Germany international, but Monaco are holding out for €25m, while Bayern just wanted him on loan.
09.11 GMT: Foot Mercato claims that the likes of Crystal Palace, Brighton, Fulham and Southampton are interested in Bordeaux full-back Youssouf Sabaly – the club reportedly want €15m for him.
Meanwhile, L’Equipe says that Crystal Palace want Angers’ left-back Rayan Ait-Nouri.
08.52 GMT: Chelsea are in business for a striker this window and have targeted FC Metz’s Habib Diallo, say the Daily Star.
Diallo, 24, has impressed in Ligue 1 and could move for €20m to play as backup to Tammy Abraham.
He told a news conference: “I have heard the rumours, but I do not have any other knowledge. For the moment, I am with Metz and I have extended my stay until 2022 — I hope to finish this season here.”
08.00 GMT: TyC Sports reports that Inter Miami are in advanced talks with Boca Juniors to sign Argentinian midfielder Agustin Almendra.
Almendra, 19, was promoted to Boca’s first team in July 2018 and has scored two goals in 24 appearances. Tied to Boca until June 2022, he has a €30m release clause but, according to TyC Sports, the Argentinian giants would be willing to sell the player for half that price.
PAPER TALK (by Liam Wheeler)
Blues in pole position to land Lemar
Another day, another Thomas Lemar story. Now the Guardian reports that Chelsea appear to have won the race to sign the Atletico Madrid winger in the face of competition from Premier League rivals Tottenham and Arsenal.
A host of other European clubs are believed to have been interested in Lemar’s services, but Stamford Bridge is now his most likely destination, with the Frenchman expected to join Frank Lampard’s side on loan until the end of the season.
The 24-year-old has “frustrated” boss Diego Simeone since his €72m move from Monaco in 2018 and will now look to reignite his career in West London, having failed to find the net in 21 appearances for Los Colchoneros this season.
The Blues have also been monitoring several other options including Lyon striker Moussa Dembele as reported by ESPN, but they could miss out on Wilfred Zaha after Crystal Palace slapped a hefty £80m price tag on the wantaway forward.
Leicester in pursuit of Juve’s Demiral
The Mirror reports Leicester City are refusing to give up on the signing of Juventus centre-back Merih Demiral, despite the 21-year-old fighting his way back into Maurizio Sarri’s starting XI in recent weeks.
The Foxes have already had bids of £24.5m and £34m turned down for the defender, who is also reportedly wanted by Carlo Ancelotti’s Everton.
Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers hopes to secure a solid defensive pairing between Demiral and his compatriot Caglar Soyuncu, who has impressed at the King Power Stadium this season.
Turkey international Demiral has started only three times in Serie A this season, but all of those appearances have come since Dec. 15, with the talented youngster now keeping Matthijs de Ligt out of the side.
On top of that, Premier League champions Manchester City are also reported to be keen to hijack any deal, all of which leaves Rodgers facing a tough task to land his man.
– Celtic winger Lewis Morgan could be set for a remarkable move to David Beckham’s Inter Miami, despite being highly-rated by Hoops boss Neil Lennon. That’s according to the Sun, which reports that the club’s hierarchy have agreed to a six-figure sum with the MLS side.
– West Ham United manager David Moyes is keen to bring ex-Manchester United and Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini back to the Premier League, Sky Sports reported. It would be the third time Moyes has signed the towering Belgian, who could be subject to a 75% slash in wages if he signs a new deal with Shandong Luneng due to a new salary cap in China.
– The Guardian has reported that Wolves striker Patrick Cutrone is close to joining Serie A side Fiorentina, despite only arriving at Molineux in the summer. Any deal probably would involve an initial loan with an obligation to buy, with the Premier League side set to recoup £15.3m of the £16.2m they splashed out to secure Cutrone’s services just five months ago.